As you might have seen, I was in China not long ago. This is a quick summary, I’ll make a post concerning each city and my impressions in the next few days.
- I used the services of TravelChinaGuide. You can read my testimony on their website by clicking here. If you read it, you’ll know that I was really satisfied and would not hesitate using them again.
- For the first time of my life, and probably the last, I traveled as if I were rich. I got many upgrades : once in a 4 stars hotel, they gave me the suite on my second night ; once in a 3 stars one, I got another room (more expensive, prettier, bigger, at no extra charge) just because I was quite desperate that Internet was not working properly in my other room ; another 3 stars hotel got me the suite, sadly I couldn’t spend any time there because I arrived at midnight and had to leave at seven the next morning. I used the room service so many times, because I didn’t want to go alone to the restaurant.
- I fell into the huge tourist traps that are the “factories”. My guides received commissions if they brought me there, and a bigger one if I bought something. Let’s say that I was taken aback and kicked myself later when I bought a jade pendant. I’m weak like that. I refused to visit the next factories, except the last one where I did buy something but it was my choice, and it was cheap.
- My best meal was in the hotel in Beijing (and was not a Chinese meal at all) where I had lemonbutter swordfish. The second best was in Chengdu, also from the hotel : beef noodles. Third : in Leshan, my guide brought me to a small restaurant where I got what he recommended, some classic Sichuan dishes. Fourth : Suzhou, I had eggs with baby sardines, absolutely wonderful !
- The Engrish ! Oh my… I laughed so hard…
- Using squat toilets in a train is NOT nice. I peed on my socks.
- I took the plane three times for domestic travel. And twice, it was delayed by two hours ; once with China Airlines, once with Eastern China Airlines.
- I am addicted to the scent of Osmanthus flower, the wonderful perfume you can smell everywhere in Southern China.
- I used the VPN “Astrill” and highly recommend it. Safe, fast, convenient, cheap.